PTA (Pakistan Telecommunication Authority) is Pakistan’s Telecommunication Company, which is responsible for the regulation of establishment, operation, and maintenance and provision of telecommunication services in Pakistan.
Device Identification, Registration and Blocking System
In 2018, PTA introduced the mobile registration system DIRBS (Device Identification, Registration, and Blocking System). It was to keep track of all the mobile phones in Pakistan and ensure that only approved and legal devices are used in Pakistan. This system is established to guarantee the utilization of legitimate and registered devices over mobile networks.
Why DIRBS needed?
In Pakistan, the majority of mobile phones are imported from other countries such as China and America. Meanwhile, they are also smuggled to avoid duty taxes and customs. To track and discontinue this smuggling, PTA introduced DIRBS. This framework guarantees a stable mobile phone ecosystem in Pakistan. It will ensure those mobile phones are brought only through legal channels (pta.gov.pk, n.d.). PTA has made it mandatory for every phone user to register their device. PTA has the right to block all those devices which are not registered. By blocking, the user will be unable to use the device on mobile networks.
For checking device registration status, send a message to 8484. Type your device IMEI number and send it to 8484. You will receive a confirmation message from PTA that your device is registered or not.
To check your device IMEI number, dial *#06# and you will receive a 15-digit number. It is your device’s IMEI number. IMEI number is responsible for the utilization of SIM in the device if the IMEI number is blocked the device is unable to operate the SIM.
PTA mobile registration check online
You can also check your device status through https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/. After entering the IMEI number, you will receive one of the following messages.
- Device IMEI is compliant (Approved by PTA). This means your (Pro Pakistani, 2020)device is verified.
- Device IMEI is non-compliant. This means you have to register your device.
- Device IMEI is blocked. This means that you cannot use your device on mobile networks, and you have to pay taxes to use it.
PTA mobile registration
Registration through USSD
To register your cell phone, you have to dial a USSD code, which is *8484#. You will receive a message with different options. Press 1 on your dial pad if you are a citizen of Pakistan and if you are a foreigner press 2. If you are registering your first device, then again press 1. The registration of the first device is free of cost. Now enter your passport or CNIC number the reply with the number of SIM slots in your device. Then enter your IMEI number, in the case of two IMEI’s, enter both numbers. Then reply with 1 to complete your device registration. PTA will review your registration request, and then you will receive a confirmation message.
To register your device from PTA through DIRBS (Device Identification, Registration and Blocking System), follow the stepwise procedure:
- Open the browser and follow the link (https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/drs/auth/login). It will open the device registration portal.
- Login to your account and if you do not have one sign up and make one.
- Provide the required details if you are signing up for the account. Select the purpose of the account, i.e., personal/individual for mobile/tablet PCs. Then select the user type, which is foreigner or local. Provide all the details of your email, passport number/ CNIC, and address to complete the signup procedure.
- You will receive an email with the confirmation link. Click the link to verify your account.
- As you have created a new account, log in to your account.
- Once you have logged in to your account, on the left side of the web page, there will be a declaration box. From there, click on apply to COC.
- They will ask you to enter the IMEI number and your phone number. Type the device IMEI and phone number.
- You will be notified through a text message that whether you have to pay any tax or not.
- You can also check your application status by clicking on My Application.
You can also register your device through PTA mobile app (Only available for android users).
PTA mobile registration Charges
PTA mobile registration fee varies with the model, make, price, and brand of the phone. The taxes are calculated according to the Cost and Freight value, calculated in USD, but they are paid in PKR. ** Without Passport Rates**
|Baggage Imports||Cost and Freight Value (USD)||Registration fee (PKR)|
|6||500 and above||46,277|
PTA mobile registration free
The registration of the first device is free of cost. To register, follow the steps mentioned above (Registration through USSD).